By Lizzy Ritschard (@lizzymritschard)
Many remarkable students from the Department of Journalism received awards at the UW Oshkosh Honors and Awards Ceremony and the department’s Student Achievement Gathering for Spring 2018.
This year ten students were presented with the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence and we are proud to say that three of them are Department of Journalism students. Kaitlin Biersach, majoring in public relations and RTF, Monica Salmeri, majoring in public relations, and Erin Seidler, minoring in journalism, were awarded this high honor. In order to receive this award, one must be a senior who exemplifies high academic and leadership qualities with a deep commitment to serving others. The criteria for this award included academic performance, University-related service and community involvement.
Other awards and scholarships that are being presented are below:
- Sherine Johnson was honored with the African American Student Leadership Award.
- Amber Brockman was presented with the Journal Foundation Walter Jay and Clara Charlotte Damm Scholarship.
College of Letters and Science
- Bethanie Gengler was presented with the Dave Engels Journalism Scholarship.
- Nicole Brahm and Bethanie Gengler were presented with the David J. Lippert Memorial Scholarship.
- Kaitlin Biersach was presented with the Dr. Harris N. Liechti Scholarship.
- Taylor Mueller, Taylor Radtke and Whitney Wender were presented with the E. Garner Horton Memorial Scholarship.
- Elizabeth Ritschard, Hollyann Schultz, Ashley Statz, and Alexander Thompson were presented with the Gary Coll Journalism Fellowship.
- Christina Basken was presented with the Griffith Scholarship for Creative Portfolios in Journalism.
- Nicole Braham and Bethanie Gengler were presented with the Virginia A. Sokolowski Memorial Scholarship.
We’ve had a very successful year within the Journalism Department. Below are more achievements our students have been honored with:
- The induction of three students into Kappa Tau Alpha, Lauren Freund, Alicia Kahl and Grace Zaplatynsky. Kaitlin Biersach was further honored as being the “top scholar” within the department.
- Advance-Titan received second place in the College Media Association Pinnacle Awards for sports photography.
- Advance-Titan received honorable mention in the Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Awards.
- The Public Relations Campaigns Team consisting of Kaitlin Biersach, Jessica Foster, Emily Reise, Monica Salmeri and Catelynn Schultz received honorable mention for their Bateman Campaign for With Purpose.
- The Advertising Campaigns Class received fifth place at district for the 2018 National Student Advertising Competition for their client Ocean Spray. Read about this in a previous blog.
- Christina Basken, Alexandra Broeniman, Emily Fredrick and Hannah Jakubowski were all national finalists for the Photographer’s Forum 38th Annual College Photography Contest.
- Last year’s PRSSA’s 2016-2017 National Organ Donor Awareness Campaign received second place.
- This year’s 2017-2018 PRSSA received STAR Chapter Award from Fall 2017 PRSSA National Conference in Boston, MA.
- Past President Kaitlin Biersach and current President Monica Salmeri were National Gold Key Recipients for being outstanding public relations students and leaders.
- Kaitlin Biersach also was awarded the National PRSA President’s Citation and Ron Culp Scholarship for Mentorship.
- SPJ Local Chapter Hearst Journalism Award Nominations for feature writing (Nathan Proell and Morgan VanLanen), enterprise reporting (Christina Basken and Alex Nemec), sports writing (Neal Hogden and Nathan Proell), personality profile writing (Trevor Hurst and Nathan Proell), breaking news (Alex Nemec and Ti Windisch), news and features photos (Crystal Knuth and Alicia Kahl), picture story/series (Allie Broeniman and Elizabeth Pletzer), and TV features (Jordan Fremsted).
- Elizabeth Ritschard received the Outstanding Organization President during the 2018 Student Leadership and Involvement Ceremony.
CONGRATULATIONS to our 55 spring & summer 2018 prospective graduates. We wish you the best in your future endeavors. Keep in touch with us!