By: Andrea Larson (@andrea_larson_)
Whether you are from Oshkosh, previously lived here for a summer or this is your first time, you may not know Oshkosh is full of summer events that will expose you to new and fantastic artists, musicians, movies, hobbies and sports. Every week there is something new and we want to encourage you to check them out.
Of course, we wouldn’t want you to attend an event without giving us feedback on your experience, so we are challenging you to write a blog post for each event you attend.
This is a chance to get writing practice over the summer so you don’t come back rusty, and also a way to get your work out to the public, which is good for your portfolio. The post only needs to be between 300-500 words and include which event you attended and what you did.
Bellow are the events, found from the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau website, in June we think you’ll enjoy; come back at the first of July and August for more events and more opportunities to create a post for the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s Journalism Department’s official blog.
June Events- organized by activity:
- June 13: admission is free and concessions will be available.
- Invasion of the Animal People
- Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the movie starts at 8:00 p.m.
- Grease presented by Arty and Ed’s Drive In
- Movie starts at 8:00 pm.
- Popcorn, soda and candy will be available.
- June 27: Frozen
- Starts at 8:30 p.m.
Between the Bridges
- Thursdays Between the Bridges
- Join the Oshkosh Convention & Visitors Bureau, and their partners on the Fox River, for a night of food, fun and music, every Thursday night.
- Starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Community Band Summer Concert Series
- June 11: free admission to the band concert
- 6:30 p.m.
- Waterfest: Summer Solstice Party
- Featuring Cool Waters Band, Sam Llanas and Vic Ferrari.
- Music start at 6:00 p.m.
- General admission is $12 before 7:00 p.m. and $15 after 7:00 p.m.
- 2 for 1 admission before 6:00 p.m.
Alberta Kimball Auditorium
- Oshkosh Area Community Band Summer Concert Series
- Free band music appealing to all.
- June 25 at 6:30 p.m.
Vines & Rushes
- Rucksack Revolution
- Local musicians Sarah Voswinkel of Dead Horses and Adam Gruel of Horseshoes & Handgranades. They will be playing a mixture of genres with a blend of cover songs and their own work.
- June 28 at 2:00 p.m.
South Park in Oshkosh
- Central WI Auto Collectors 33rd Annual Benefit Car Show & Swap/ Flea Market
- june 29 from 7:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Food, beverages, raffles, door prizes and entertainment by DJ Sizzlin Sonny’s Rockin Roadshow.
- Improv Comedy Show (Ages 21+)
- June 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 and 28
- You give suggestions and their actors create scenes and characters based off those suggestions.
- 9:00 p.m.
- Stand up comedy open Mic
- June 13, 20 and 27
- This is your opportunity to test out some comedy material on mic, on stage, in front of a room of your peers.
- June 12-15: Enjoy music, food, dancers, presentations, vendors, a 5K and a raffle.
- 5:00 p.m.
- June 21
- 5:30-8:30 a.m.
- Fun activities for all ages.
- Ford Festival Park
- Featuring the biggest and hottest headliners of country music with great food, shopping and campgrounds located on site for people who want to continue the full all week long.
- June 24-28.
- Please visit their website to see the amazing line-up.
- Attack of the Bloodsuckers
- For the whole month of June, explore an exhibition that examines why, what, when and how of mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, leeches and other parasites. Learn why these bloodsuckers are important to the ecosystem and how to keep them away from you.
- Opens at 10:00 a.m.
- June 20th, 21, 22, 24 , 25, 26th , 27, 28 and 29.
- With over 130 venders everyday Saturday morning, the market brings fresh, in-season fruits, vegetables, honey, chesses, jams, flowers and much more. A wide variety of handcrafted items are available throughout the season.
- Starts at 8:00 a.m. every Saturday morning down Main St.
- 400-500 BLKS N Main St & 100 BLK Church Ave.
- Winnebago BMX Club Racing
- Every Saturday, spectators are welcomed to watch all the BMX action for free.
- Racing starts at 10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Watch up to two dozen ultralights and light plans descend onto the grass airstrip of the EAA AirVenture Museum’ s Pioneer Airport.
- Starts at 9:00 a.m.
Alberta Kimball Auditorium
- Miss Wisconsin Scholarship Pageant
- June 18-21
- Wednesday and Thursday: Miss Preliminary Competition.
- Thursday: Wisconsin’s Outstanding Teen Competition.
- 7:00 p.m.
- $15 admission.
- Cruise Night
- Evening of cars, great oldies music from WVBO Radio and food.
- June 26 at 5:00 p.m.
Chose any event, or one that you have discovered and not listed, and send an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post it to our blog.
Please comment below if you have any other event ideas.