Thanks to Brody Karmenzind for taking the time to write up this blog on his first week as an intern at Pandora in California. You can see more of his marketing wisdom at his blog and follow his summer at Pandora on his Instagram account.
Week One with Pandora: Brody Karmenzind
I have officially been with Pandora one week and I am already overloaded with awesome things to mention in this post. I could probably write a novel about my experiences thus far. However, I hope to give you insights into the real scale of Pandora, the coolest parts of working at Pandora as well as what my summer will look like.
Pandora, so what?
I didn’t realize how big Pandora really was before my orientation. To give you a snapshot Pandora has 80 million unique listeners, 1.2 billion thumb interactions and 168 million stations created a month. In fact, right now Pandora is the second most used application on mobile devices in the U.S. When looking at mobile advertisers the only publishers ahead of Pandora in terms of size are Facebook, Twitter and Google, which is mind blowing.
To say the least, this has probably been the most exciting week of my life. The only way I could organize the unlimited things to talk about is by giving a quick Top 10 List of my favorite aspects similar to how Buzzfeed approaches articles. Here are the top 10 coolest parts of my first week at Pandora:
1. Free trip to California. The first three days as an intern at Pandora you are flown out to the headquarters in Oakland. The company covered the flight and hotel in downtown San Francisco, and gave us a few hundred dollars for traveling. We also were paid for the time it took to travel. I arrived Sunday morning so I had the entire day to explore San Francisco before work the next day.
2. The other interns are awesome. It was amazing meeting all of the other interns. Being surrounded by students from Harvard, MIT, Stanford and other big schools was really interesting. I’m not going to lie, we all went out a few times together in those few days and had a blast.
3. Pandora swag. Pandora hooks you up with branded “swag” starting on your first day. I walked away from orientation with Pandora shirts, a Pandora Timbuk2 laptop bag and Pandora iPhone case among others.
4. Pandora One. Yes, you get ad free radio if you were wondering.
5. Amazing work environment. Pandora has the best work environment I could have imagined. There are no offices at Pandora because everyone works in open rooms with desks arranged in pods. Everyone works in teams and collaborates on projects. Also, as you expected, there is usually music playing or you can use headphones and listen to music.
6. Benefits even for interns. Besides the great hourly wage, interns actually get a few of the benefits that full-time employees get. For instance, we get to start a 401K, which I never considered before. We also get 20 hours of paid volunteer time that I will be spending at a Ronald McDonald house this summer. Also, we get an account with AnyPerk that allows great employee specific discounts for food, travel, entertainment and fitness.
7. Free food and drinks! Every office has a kitchen stocked full of a huge variety of snacks from organic protein bars, to fresh avocados as well as junk food like candy and chips. The drink selection is also ridiculous with choices such as Starbucks frappuccinos, Red Bull, Gatorade and soda. The best part is that all of it is free and restocked every day.
8. Great company culture. The company has a “work hard, play hard” atmosphere. Everyone works in a high-caliber way on the job, but is also ready to go out and get to a concert or bar after work or just drink a few beers and play some ping-pong in the office after a long day. It’s amazing to experience a company culture like Pandora’s because I worked for a virtual company in my previous internship.
9. Continued Education. Pandora is all about investing in its employees and one way is through a ton of extra training options. Employees have access to Lynda and other similar tools. Also, within the first week I have participated in team trainings on advanced protocols in programs like Microsoft Excel to increase knowledge for daily software use. Pandora is always building you up in small ways everyday.
10. Clubs! I saved the best for last. Pandora lets employees have company-sponsored clubs similar to a university club. There are hundreds of awesome clubs to join with purposes ranging from videogames to sight-seeing to even Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Needless to say, I am the newest member to the BJJ club!
My Summer Outlook:
I’m looking forward to the rest of my summer as I work with my assigned mentor learning how to develop and pitch, and report on digital and audio advertising campaigns to national clients. Special thanks to the Department of Journalism for being awesome and giving me the correct skills to be part of changing the history of radio.
Follow the rest of my summer via Instagram: http://instagram.com/brodykarmenzind